Specs is a jo
Call For Submissions--Specs
Specs is a journal of contemporary culture and arts at Rollins College that aims to create sympathetic interfaces between artistic and critical practices.
The editors invite submissions of critical and/or creative work for the 2nd volume on the theme of “Faux Histories.” We seek works of fiction, non-fiction, cultural criticism, artwork, poetry, and pieces that blur genre boundaries. The editorial board consists of writers and academics from various fields. The editors are excited by specialty, an excess of detail, fragments, narratives, meta-narratives, and more. The editors are particularly interested in works that examine contemporary culture and/or cross the critical/creative divide while riffing on the theme of “Faux Histories” in multiple ways, including:
- Manipulated Histories/Deep Time
- Synthetic Encounters /Textures/String Theories
- Apocryphal Technologies and Topographies
- End of History
- Planned Communities/Theme Parks
- Virtual Worlds/Mythical Creatures/Cyberculture
- Retrofuturism/Revisonary History/Counter Memories
- Body Transformations/Plastic Surgery
- 2nd Life/Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games (MMORPGs)/Video Games
- Adaptations/Hollywood/Celluloid Worlds
- False Memories/Déjà vu/Ersatz Affects
Deadline for submissions: December 15, 2008.
Please send all submissions in an .rft or .doc file in Times New Roman Font to email@example.com Include a brief cover letter and indicate whether you wish to be considered for the print edition, the web edition, or both. Please also indicate the type/genre of submission in the subject heading (Poetry, Cultural Criticism, etc.).
Please limit prose submissions to less than 6000 words and poetry submissions to 10-12 pages.
Critical prose pieces will be peer reviewed. We accept simultaneous submission of creative work if indicated on the cover letter. Please inform us immediately if work is accepted elsewhere.
For further guidelines visit our website at www.specsjournal.org